REPORTS TO: CFO
COMPENSATION: A competitive base salary, incentive bonus and stock options will be supplemented by a comprehensive, well-rounded benefits program, which includes relocation assistance.
Controller: Manage Accounting department as it records and executes financial transactions on a timely and accurate basis, and provide accurate financial information about Company activities, which will assist management, its shareholders and others in making economic decisions about the Company's future.
Tax Management: Direct and oversee tax policies to ensure establishment of accurate and efficient tax practices. Manage tax functions, including preparation and submission of tax filings; manage tax audits, and tax research and analysis.
Financial Reporting: Direct the preparation of all financial reports, including monthly financial statements, reports to shareholders, compliance reports to lenders, and reports for regulatory agencies. Manage the annual audit of financial statements.
- Direct the preparation of all financial reports, including monthly unaudited and annual audited financial statements, reports to shareholders, compliance reports to lenders, tax returns and reports for government regulatory agencies.
- Work with the CFO to provide timely and accurate communications to lenders, investors, and interested third parties.
- Assist the CFO in evaluation and execution of capital market transactions, including debt and equity offerings working with outside advisors, investment bankers, and attorneys. Assist the CFO in maintaining positive long-term working relationships with such parties.
- Lead the development and implementation of the corporate budgeting process and participate actively in the annual budget process, including meetings and discussions with unit managers and executives.
- On an ongoing basis review Company performance against budget expectations, and confer with executives and others to evaluate trends, areas of concern, and opportunities. Analyze projections of sales and profit against actual figures, budgeted expenses against actual, and suggests methods of improving results as appropriate.
- Assist in evaluation of proposed projects to ensure they are beneficial to the Company. Assist in the study of long-range economic trends and project company prospects for future growth in overall sales and market share, opportunities for acquisitions or expansion into new product areas.
- Monitor current and future liquidity needs to assure that Company cash flow is adequate to allow it to operate efficiently. Forecast cash payments and anticipate potential challenges arising from limited cash flows. Create solutions to challenges as they arise by applying integrated financial/treasury/operations knowledge.
- Administer and maintain the Company 401(k) plan in a fiduciary capacity. Monitor plan performance and the performance of Plan providers, and assure that other Plan fiduciaries receive timely and accurate reports regarding plan administration and performance. Assure timely communication and support to 401(k) participants. Keep abreast of trends in 401(k) administration and law, and lead the process keeping Plan rules and administration current.
- Assist the CFO in other special projects as assigned, working cross-functionally with peers, managers, and executives and outside consultants or advisors.
- Establish and maintain accounting systems and controls that verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data, and enhance the Company's value.
- Take responsibility for the activities of the Accounting department as it produces accurate and timely financial management reports including, but not limited to, internal and external monthly financial statements, annual budgets, and special reports.
- Oversee the activities of Accounts Payable, Cash Management, and Payroll departments, ensuring the accurate and timely processing of all transactions and timely payments to vendors, employees, governmental agencies, and others.
- On an ongoing basis, be aware of opportunities to control costs, manage efficiencies, or change procedures that would result in enhanced value to the Company. Make value-enhancement activities a core job for all department personnel.
- Participate in special projects and compile special reports as requested.
- Develop and implement integrated tax policies and practices, adhering to all federal, state, and local tax laws.
- Maintain current knowledge of all tax laws impacting business operations and pursue ongoing professional development to maintain current knowledge of best practices.
- Manage tax compliance, planning, and strategy, including income, sales, use, property, and other taxes for the Company.
- Manage the preparation of all local, state and federal tax returns. Ensure timely and accurate filing of all returns.
- Ensure appropriate application of all tax laws to effectively minimize liabilities, risk and exposure.
- Manage and oversee tax audits.
- Work with human resources to assure ERISA compliance for Company health and benefit plans.
- Complete interim and annual income tax provision computations and disclosures in accordance with FAS 109 provisions, including evaluation of effective tax rates, maintenance of tax reserves, and analysis of permanent differences and current and deferred tax accounts. Integrate tax record-keeping with accounting systems.
- As Controller, develop and manage accounting department heads that supervise employees. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Company’s policies and applicable laws.
- Monitor the development of accounting department staff. Develop and maintain leadership skills in department heads and subheads. Assure that all departments are involved in ongoing technical development to maintain strong competencies in their areas of expertise. Develop and maintain a strong cross-training program to help assure that all positions have appropriate back up.
- Develop and maintain strong inter-personal and communication skills for all department members stressing teamwork, mutual respect, and a harmonious work environment.
- Seasoned Judgment: Applies broad knowledge and seasoned experience when addressing complex issues; defines strategic issues clearly despite ambiguity; takes all critical information into account when making decisions; makes timely, tough decisions.
- Shaping Strategy: Develops distinctive strategies to achieve competitive advantage; translates broad strategies to specific objectives and action plans; aligns the departments to support strategic priorities.
- Coach and Develop: Accurately assesses strengths and development needs of employees; gives timely, specific feedback, and helpful coaching; provides challenging assignments and opportunities for development.
- Inspiring Trust: Earns the confidence and trust of others; shows consistency between words and actions; delivers on commitments; produces high-quality work demonstrates high standards of ethical conduct; protects confidential information; does not omit controversial information or change information to suit others.
- Drive for Stakeholder Success: Sets and pursues aggressive goals; drives for results; demonstrates a strong commitment to organizational success; works to do what is best for all stakeholders (customers, shareholders, employees).
- Foster Open Communication: Creates an atmosphere in which timely and high quality information flows smoothly between self and others; encourages the open expression of ides and opinions.
- Attracting and Developing Talent: Attracts high caliber people; develops teams and talent with diverse capabilities; accurately appraises the strengths and weaknesses of others; provides constructive feedback; develops successors and talent pools.
- Driving Executions: Assigns clear authority and accountability; directs change while maintaining operating effectiveness; integrates efforts across departments and functions; monitors results; tackles problems directly and with a sense of urgency.
- Shari’s Professionalism: Consistently treats individual with dignity and respect, recognizing the important of cultural differences. Embraces, communicates and demonstrates company values and ethics. Maintains reasonable expectations of self and others when balancing time and performance demands with personal and professional needs. Continually seeks new and creative approaches to work and solutions to problems.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting plus CPA certification.
10 years of hands-on accounting managerial experience
Strong general ledger, accounts payable, payroll income tax and banking knowledge.
Strong experience with spreadsheet (Excel) and financial package software.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Desire and flexibility to assume the roles of individual contributor, team player and leader simultaneously as the organization evolves.
- Knowledge of strategic business planning and organizational development.