POSITION: Payroll Manager
REPORTS TO: Chief People Officer
SALARY: The Payroll Manager is a salaried, exempt position
The Payroll Manager is responsible to ensure that the payroll for both Shari's and Coco's and Carrows is accurately processed in a timely manner and effectively manages the payroll team members by providing training and feedback to individuals and the team as a whole. The Payroll Manager should be familiar with the applicable city, state and federal payroll taxes and regulations affecting when employees must be paid and what information must be included on their respective pay report or check stub. This is a hands-on position, requiring a "roll-up the shirt sleeves mentality" and a strong work ethic. The duties and responsibilities listed below are those that must be met to successfully perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions below.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
Demonstrates a strong service orientation towards administrative and restaurant team members as well as federal and state agencies and any issues are resolved in a timely manner.
Assists the Controller, Chief Financial Officer and Benefits Manager in maintaining and enhancing current and future procedures within the payroll department.
Encourages team members to voice any concerns or questions as they arise.
Meets with the CFO, Controller and Benefits Manager as needed and is encouraged to bring new ideas for discussion.
Develops yearly team goals and prepares performance evaluations. Directs the recruiting, selecting and training of newly hired payroll team members.
Responsible for maintaining payroll team job results by coaching and counseling and disciplining team members; planning, monitoring
- Delegate routine work and promote full use of team members’ skills, abilities, and creativity.
- Conduct department and one-on-one meetings with payroll specialists as required ensuring communication lines are always open.
- Lead the hiring process including selecting candidates and conducting the interviews.
- Conduct annual, team member performance reviews.
- Assist in maintaining the appropriate staffing level during approved vacations, holiday schedules and testing situations.
- Plans to achieve the performance standards within this job description are formulated and discussed with the CFO and Controller formally, on an annual basis.
- Continually set an example of punctuality, professional conduct and adhering to company policies and procedures.
- Motivate team members to ultimate achievement through their understanding of the overall objective of the department and the company.
- Is trusted and respected by team members.
- Continually demonstrates the ability to give praise and honest appreciation for a job well done.
- Uses a positive approach in correcting deviations from the expected results.
- Ensures that all team members take part in the decisions that affect their jobs and are appreciated and rewarded for their efforts.
- Is aware that emotions and attitudes are often more important than the logical factors in making a decision and demonstrate the ability to evaluate the feelings of persons concerned before choosing a course of action.
- Decisions made are consistent with the company’s mission and contribute towards achieving desired results and does not violate established rules, policies, procedures, good ethics and morality.
- Involves team members in creative meetings in order to develop their decision-making potential and incorporates their ideas and creativity in developing alternative solutions.
- In communicating decisions to team members, the Payroll Manager makes clear to them the total picture, the reasons for the decision, and desired results that are expected.
Development and Training
- Lead Payroll Specialists is capable of providing back up to the Payroll Managers position.
- Analyze all payroll general ledger liability accounts.
- Prepare all journal entries as they relate to payroll accounts.
- Lead, supervise or directly process restaurant and Restaurant Support Center payroll from start to finish.
- Prepare and transmit interface files to Banks, 401(k) Administrator, Equifax and federal and state agencies as needed.
- Process all tax payments, all check request, quarterly tax reports and reconcile year end W2 processing.
- Assist with Equifax I-9/E-Verify issues as needed.
- Promptly and professionally respond to federal and state information requests.
- Perform additional responsibilities, although not detailed, as assigned.
PERSONAL SKILLS AND COMPETNCIES
Functions with a high degree of professionalism. This includes the ability to communicate, both verbal and written, at a high level with individuals at different levels of the company and with different backgrounds and skills sets as well as individuals outside the company.
Possess interpersonal skills and is able to interact with all team members at all levels within the restaurant support center and the restaurants. Possess good telecommunication skills.
Ability to effectively work with and supervise team members including earning the trust of and confidence of others and deliver on commitments. Has a strong work ethic and is able to maintain confidential information.
Is competent and confident in their decision-making, problem solving, and analytical skills.
- Excels at organizational, multi-tasking and prioritizing skills.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
CPP preferred but not required.
Minimum 5 year’s functional, experience processing multi-state payroll.
Working knowledge of payroll best practices, including in-depth knowledge and experience of payroll calculation and processing.
Strong knowledge of federal, state and local tax regulations.
Strong PC skills including proficiency in Excel.
Prefer working knowledge of Prism HR/Payroll system.
Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing peer networks and participating in professional groups.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The conditions listed are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Standard office setting.
Physical: Sufficient physical ability to work in an office setting and operate office equipment. Team member will be able to sit for extended periods of time. Team member will continuously be performing hand and wrist work including grasping.
Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction; vision sufficient to read computer screens and printed documents.
Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.