POSITION: Staff Accountant
REPORTS TO: Controller
The Staff Accountant helps prepare and analyze the company’s financial records, compile financial statements, review data, and ensure financial compliance. The Staff Accountant is responsible for executing a variety of financial procedures, including month-end and year-end closings, accounts payable and receivable, tax returns, bank reconciliations, general ledger reviews, forecasting, and budgeting. The Senior Accountant also analyzes corporate financial operations to ensure the business is running efficiently. The Senior Account may supervise Staff and Junior Accountants in contributing to these procedures and analyses.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS
- Summarizes financial status by collecting information and preparing balance sheet, profit and loss, and other statements.
- Assists with completion of external audit by analyzing and scheduling general ledger accounts and providing information for auditors.
- Ensures the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying, consolidating, and entering transactions
- Maintains general ledger by transferring subsidiary accounts, preparing a trial balance, and reconciling entries
- Prepares and records asset, liability, revenue, and expenses entries by compiling and analyzing account information
- Maintains and balances subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, posting, and reconciling transactions and resolving discrepancies
- Avoids legal challenges by complying with legal requirements
- Protects organization’s value by keeping information confidential
- Analyzes financial statements for discrepancies and alerts the Controller and CFO, if necessary
- Reconciles accounts monthly to ensure accurate reporting and ledger maintenance
- Delegates financial responsibilities to the accounting team as necessary
- Recommends ways to reduce costs and enhance revenue
PERSONAL SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Project Management: Develops project plans, coordinates projects and communicates changes and progress. Completes projects on time. Is proficient in the use and management of the Smartsheet application. Should be knowledgeable in restaurant logistics and supply chain.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully while developing alternative solutions. Ability to think critically and analytically.
- Time Management: Able to prioritize responsibilities to ensure a smooth work flow. Coordinates schedules of team and other interested parties.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands, changes approach or method to best fit the situation and able to deal with frequent changes, delays or unexpected events.
- Oral Communication: Able to communicate at a high level with individuals at different levels of the organization and with different backgrounds and skills sets as well as individuals outside the organization. Listens and gets clarification, responds well to questions, demonstrates group presentation skills and participates in meetings.
- Written Communication: Writes clearly and informatively presents numerical data effectively.
- Technical Capacity: Possesses or has the ability to quickly learn different programs, philosophies and ideas. Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures.
- Collaboration: Able to earn the trust of and confidence of others and delivers on commitments. Produces high-quality work and encourages others to do the same in order to deliver on promises and deadlines.
- Shari’s Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner, reacts well under pressure, treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position, accepts responsibility for own actions and follows through on commitments. Treats people with respect, keeps commitments, inspires the trust of others, works with integrity and ethically, upholds organizational values.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, economics, or related field (Required)
- CPA preferred; knowledge of GAAP principles required
- Strong mastery of Excel required
- Experience with ERP accounting software packages; Peoplesoft v. 8.9 preferred
- 5 to 10+ years of accounting experience with restaurant, retail or multi-unit service company preferred
- Knowledge of SQL and experience with OLAP data warehouses preferred
- Restaurant experience preferred
- Understanding of menu mix, food cost, and related margin impact on company profitability.
- Attention to detail
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Effective communication skills and collaborates across the enterprise
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
While performing the duties of this position team member will be required to sit for extended periods of time. Team member will continuously be performing hand and wrist work including grasping. Team member will frequently bend and twist. Team member will occasionally push and pull and do fine hand manipulation.